Often in a new home or addition storage spaces take a back seat in design and color to the rest of the house. Most of the time these small rooms have little to no color and the first inclination is to paint the built-in the same color as the trim. This young family wanted their custom millwork to draw attention, add charm, resemble a piece of furniture, withhold the wear and tears of two small boys and a busy family life while at the same time complimenting their love for antiques and all things old.
Here is Mia my assistant and supervisor on the unfinished built-in. I taped off all the walls and the floor using 3M blue painters tape. I prefer the one with the orange core. It is the best at preventing paint from bleeding under the tape.
I distressed the wood further by hammering the threads of a screw and using the back of the hammer to gouge the wood.
I wanted the built ins to look like they had been painted several times. In order to achieve that look I randomly painted red (Sherwin-Williams Red Bay 6321) and navy blue (Sherwin-Williams 6531 Indigo) undertones making sure that these colors pooled in the grooves and distressed areas. I then covered the two colors with a topcoat of 7610 Turkish Tile. It was important not to cover the the red and navy completely but to give it one light coat leaving brush stroke and areas where the under colors show through. Basically, paint like you are in elementary school missing spots... and don't bother using a good quality brush. It's the inconsistancy and uneveness that give it charm.
After the top coat of Turkish Tile is dry I took a heavy grit sandpaper and sand the edges and certain areas of the built in to expose further the under colors and natural wood.
To protect and further give the paint depth I painted a dark blue almost black glaze. I do this in small areas at a time. Wiping the glaze off in certain areas. This glaze stains the natural wood and creates yet another layer of color. As the glaze dries the brush strokes show. Below are details of multiple layers.
The tape is removed and the built- in is left to dry for at least 24-48 hours. Hooks found at Anthropologie are put up and the open spaces can accommodate wire or wicker baskets.